Welcome

Alpicks Treasures!

Friday, July 04, 2008

Last post from my trip! This is it...

Opening to the Iron Pirite mine. One of my rocks. Charcoal Oven


Standing on top at the mine looking down at the valley below.

These rocks have Iron Pirite in them.

Well my week is almost over. I don't really know if I got the rest I needed, but I know the different views were well worth the trip. Today we set out to explore the Iron Pyrite ( Hope I spelled it correct?) This rock looks like gold but its really Iron and the mine we went to has it all over the ground for anyone to pick up, so we loaded up the truck with some nice size boulders, then hubby said that was enough because its weighting down the truck, bummer! I could of kept putting more and more in. I also found a rock that looks like amethyst, I think it was the real treasure because it was the only one up there. Since I love purple I had to have it. After we were done there we headed down the mountain to the Charcoal Ovens, these date back to 1870's there were 6 of them. Very interesting to see. Tonight we were lucky enough to watch the fireworks from Ely at our campsite. A nice way to end this real windy and nice day. I will be going home tomorrow. Hope you all have had a nice 4th. And remember that GOD loves us all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your right it's Pyrite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrite
Those stone masons back then were awesome, those kilns are amazing!

Unknown said...

I love the history that Nevada holds, sounds like a very nice trip, so glad you enjoyed it all! Welcome home!!

Small City Scenes said...

Hi Allison, Boy it looks and sounds like you hare or are having a great vacation. Those charcoal ovens are really neat looking. Imagine them surviving for so long. Welcome back! MB

Small City Scenes said...

Hi again. I did a yahoo search on 'Charcoal ovens in Nevada' and got the Nevada Parks Dept and found a ton of information.
http://parks.nv.gov/ww.htm
Thanks MB

The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Hello Allison!
I just wanted to stop by and let you know I'm thinking of you! I also want to thank you with all my heart, for the Valentine card and delightful charm you sent me! I just love it and am so warmed by your sweet thoughtfulness! Life has been a whirlwind for me since last Christmas, but I never forgot about you!
I have really enjoyed all your fab pictures from your vacation--gives me a sense of what it's like in your corner of the United States--Just lovely!
I think I finally can get back to blogging somewhat--missed you!
Blessings to You!
Claudia O.